February 23, 2021
It’s one year into the COVID-19 pandemic, and the pace of advocacy for many people has only accelerated. In this time, when vast quantities of information—good and bad—must be sorted and priorities set, AVAC has been generating resources to help you keep up-to-date and to inform your advocacy.
HIVR4P in 3D
Okay, maybe it’s not really three dimensions; it’s more! Catch up on many angles of R4P starting with AVAC’s coverage:
- Making Do With “Good Enough”: A roundup of the first week of HIVR4P
- Prevention Unmasked: A roundup from week two
Recordings from the Advocates’ Corner went deep into the content and include insightful, lively exchanges:
- Understanding Broadly Neutralizing Antibodies
- COVID-19 & Vaccine Hesitancy
- Tracking Global PrEP Use and Trends
- A Conversation About Multipurpose Prevention
- What Does the CAB-LA Tail Mean for Implementation?
- Research Ethics—New Guidelines, Same Urgency
- A Review of the Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Women’s HIV Prevention Pipeline
- A Look at the 2021 Resource Tracking Report
- A Conversation About the Dapivirine Ring: What do the WHO Guidelines Mean for Access?
- Working with the Global Infrastructure: A Conversation with the COVID-19 Advocates Advisory Board
Funding for HIV Prevention R&D
The 16th annual analysis of funding trends in HIV Prevention R&D is out with 2019 data, and it can all be found on a newly launched website: www.hivresourcetracking.org. The annual report is a collaboration among AVAC, IAVI and UNAIDS, and the website includes 20 years of funding trends.
1 Million PrEP Initiations…almost
These two resources will help you understand the trends in PrEP uptake, and keep you up-to-date on PrEP initiations around the world, which is fast approaching 1 million but still well below global targets.
- AVAC’s PrEP Tracker (Updated December 2020)
- The Evolution of Oral PrEP Access: Tracking trends in global oral PrEP use over time (presented at HIVR4P)
AVAC, Partners in Health, Friends of the Global Fight, Results, Treatment Action Group (TAG) and the Zero TB Initiative collaborated on a report and a new website that includes case studies from around the world. Find out what successful programs in Cambodia, Ethiopia, Pakistan, Russia, South Africa and the United States have in common and learn more about the critical components needed to achieve the eradication of TB.
- How Can We End The Tuberculosis Epidemic?
- This report builds on the Translating Progress into Success to End the AIDS Epidemic report from AVAC, Friends and amfAR.
Protecting Global Gains
Two new vignettes on Protecting Global Gains explore how communities are adapting to maintain critical healthcare as COVID-19 threatens hard-won gains in global health. This project is a collaboration including AVAC, Partners in Health, Friends of the Global Fight, Results, Treatment Action Group (TAG) and the Zero TB Initiative.