Developing a rich pipeline of options for HIV prevention is essential and must be guided by community priorities that define what products are needed and supported through R&D.
Once approved, interventions typically become widely available in wealthy countries within a few years time. But scaling up new options in lower and middle-income countries lags for years, even decades, with devastating effects on global health, individual lives, and the global effort to end the epidemic.
AVAC’s work supports:
- Development of timely, efficient, effective and affordable prevention options
- Including community needs and perspectives in R&D
- Getting products faster to market and to scale
- Understanding the products’ users
- Compiling and analyzing market data
- Sharing information
- Bringing effective prevention options to those who need them